Avacyn Restored – Who is the new Planeswalker?
Time to discuss something important, something really important. Well not really important but it’s fun for all of us “Rumor lovers”.
I think I did a similar thing when the packs for Innistrad were spoiled, talking about the New Planeswalker card – Garruk. At the time we actually didn’t know for sure that Garruk was going to get a new Planeswalker form, seeing as he had just gotten a new version in M13.
Something that is very interesting about the booster packs art is the fact that the Planeswalker(s) from the set are usually on there. At times even all of them, except on the Core Set boosters, I guess it would be kind of boring to JUST have Planeswalkers on there. And yes, the Avacyn Restored booster packs were recently given out, so let’s check it out.
So can we spot a possible Planeswalker?
We know it’s not Avacyn (card already spoiled) or Griselbrand. We’ve been told by Mark Rosewater that these will be Legendary Creatures. So they are out.
So that leaves us with three different boosters to choose from. I’m going to leave one of the Angels out just because I have bigger reasons to believe that the red haired angel has a bigger shot at being a Planeswalker. But why? Well let’s take a look.
Things that make it weird for either of these to be a Planeswalker:
1. Planeswalkers have never been angelic or demonic creatures in the past (no I’m not counting Nicol Bolas).
2. …? Except for that one fact I don’t really see why Wizard of the Coast wouldn’t surprise us with something like this.
Thoughts on the “Demon/Devil”:
1. The artwork feels very well worked out. He feels like a named character and has enough features to make him well recognizable.
2. He’s not an angel.
3. It’s a Horror Block, even though the good side seems to win, wouldn’t it be sweet for the Evil side to get a Planeswalker at the end of it? The “good side” is getting plenty of presence with angels and wolfs/werewolves turning into guardians. Give the evil side a break.
Thoughts on the Angel:
1. Something that talks against her: the fact that she feels a bit like: “Another angel.” We already have Avacyn in the set; do they really want to push angels harder with a Planeswalker?
2. She is not a demon.
3. She unlike the demon, has actually been on other products related to Avacyn Restored, this is something that speaks in her favor. But it still doesn’t mean that she is more than an awesome artwork.
So we will just have to wait and see which of the two(three) end up being the Avacyn Restored planeswalker.
Until next time Nurglings, take care.
Posted on 5 April, 2012, in Card Games, Collecting, Magic The Gathering, Spoiler and tagged Alexander Eliasson, angel, avacyn, avacyn restored, demon, griselbrand, Magic The Gathering, mtg, new, nurgle, nurgleprobe, planeswalker, preview, spoiler. Bookmark the permalink. 9 Comments.